Before You Apply
Read these essential documents (for all Applicants):
FAF Grant Template:
FAF Grant-Sample Project:
Drawing of "Baba Yaga" Breadbox
by Sean Cummings
Pencil on bond
8.5 x 11 inches
Requests for Proposals
Further information about grant application procedure available upon request.
1. In the area of sculpture:
-$5,000 (2 grants)
For creation of a sculpture commemorating Alexandra Tolstoy
2. In the area of writing:
-$5,000 (1 grant)
-$1,000 (10 grants)
“YOUR LIFE BELONGED TO PEOPLE, NOT YOU” V.F. Odoyevsky
3. In the area of Architecture:
-$5,000 (10 grants)
Cultural Identity and Poly-ethnicity
[+] Show/hide full description
The world contains more than 3000 ethnicities. They inhabit 200 states. Is there a problem of state polyethnicity?
1. Modernizations of social life and integrations – the formation of large states and other trans-ethnic systems.
2. Irreversibility of the ongoing processes.
3. Further development.
4. Problems that various ethnicities have in many modern states:
a) participating in modern development of culture and civilization (while preserving ethnic roots).
b) preservation of mankind's cultural diversity through philosophy and architecture.
c) possibilities of ethno-existentialism (orientation towards a peaceful coexistence of ethnicities based on their peaceful collaboration and cultural dialogue.
An outline of the concept of ethnicity: it is determined by the aggregate of:
* Common features of individuals and communities.
* Mastery of language (whether nominally the native tongue or not).
* Acquaintance with the cultural complexes of the ethnicity and the desire to use them.
* Acquaintance with the traditions related to the behavior and the lifestyle of the ethnic ground through the church and the philosophy of architecture.
* A firm self-identification as belonging to a certain ethnic group having a definite ethnonym.
Among the criteria of self-identification with a particular ethnic group are architecture and communication.
The main factor is the symbolism ingrained in the architecture.
Language, the carrier of a civilization's symbols, expresses itself through architecture,
The spread of these cultural dominants is conceptualized by any government of a country.
Peace and peaceful coexistence are a basic theme for mass information media.
The globalization of informational technologies presents great opportunities for spreading these cultural dominants.
Informational systems are the primary instrument of orienting public consciousness.
The milestones in human civilization are the periods of reforming a particular ethnic group with a well-honed identification through architecture and town-building and square-building acting in these directions.
The capacity for ethnic self-regulation through a well-developed architecture of the ethnic group in the past and its development in future architecture created by modern civilization will protect both individuals and the whole humanity from the possibility of “psychological infection” through the modern politicized communicative means of any particular country.
The paradigm of an ethnic group's architecture in the fourth stage – the stage of dissolution:
The theme of ecology and the environment is one of the types of self-defense in the process of an ethnicity's self-regulation through architecture.
In the process of self-regulation for self-preservation of ethnicity, one of significant factors is the appearance of a far-flung global network of public interest organizations and non-profit artistic organizations developing the theme of equal rights, mutual benefit and respect for cultural diversity through art.
World experience shows that solving problems of ethnicity requires, in every country, the participation of its scientists and its producers. National experts, working in the context of ethnic groups and their contributions to world culture, develop the determinant of informational services according to gender (male or female) and age (generations living in the same historical period) - these are the axiomatic principles of evolutionary conservatism. Nature and the universe as nominal realities, material-mental-spiritual formations and super-complex systems expressing themselves as system-determining and system-forming factors in an ethnic group's emergence and evolution as a nominal reality, a second nature, of social space and social institutions.
In the aspect of
1. Interaction with the empirical and the intelligible worlds.
2. Preservation and self-reproduction of an ethnic group.
3. Innovations and the renewed traditions of an ethnic group.
4. Directing the processes indicated above.
5. The young generation (innovations within the ethnic group occurring in social space and in social institutions).
6. Representatives of the “golden age” (renewal of traditions occurring in social space and in social institutions).
7. The middle-aged population (realization of processes of system-determining and system-forming factors in an ethnic group's emergence and evolution in social space and in its social institutions).
Types of ethnicity come before us as non-linear, multidimensional, intelligible integral wholes appearing at three levels:
1. They appear as nominal-phenomenal realities, which have self-developed and self-organized as a phylogenetic process, which are self-developing, self-organizing and self-interpreting in the ontogenetic process, whose potential is manifested in the present and presets for their representatives the prospects of future development. Types of ethnicity exert direct and mediated influence on the formation, development and functioning of the concrete individual and his personality in particular external-historical conditions, and their interpretation as nominal-phenomenal realities.
2. They appear as material-mental-spiritual formations possessing not only characteristics common for ethnicity but also distinctive features in the spiritual, mental and corporeal areas.
3. They function as super-complex systems targeted towards the realization of the ethnic ideal in representatives of the ethnic group, towards collective enhancement of the quality of life, recovery of nature, manifesting and establishing connections with the universe, development of social space, social institutions and a second nature.
Developing, in the sphere of education, culture and ecology, the positive aspects of globalization and limiting its negative aspects in the formation of the common informational space of our planet.
4. In the area of Education:
New paradigms in education.
Projects leading to the development of new paradigms for education.
(in the amount of $5,000)
Educational Quality Map:
5. In the Arts, generally:
A world of confrontation and art:
Projects that aim to further developing the FAF Mission (in the amount of $10,000).
Applicants are encouraged to contact us
directly in advance of submitting an application.
| participate | about us | our projects | contact
All contents © 2008-2011, Fermata Arts Foundation, Inc.
Site by Travinka LLC